In many cases, your chances of securing a fair settlement after suffering an injury at the hands of a negligent party will be directly dependent on the skills and creativity of the attorney handling your case. But how does one go about choosing the best possible advocate for their injury case? When considering the myriad of law firms all vying to retain your business, knowing where to turn for help can be an immensely confusing task. As such, it is important you ask several key questions to get a good feel for an attorney’s skills and determine if they are a right fit for your case.
When choosing a personal injury attorney, be sure to ask the following:
- In what areas of law do you specialize? – You would not go to a chiropractor to deliver your baby, even though they may still be a doctor. Likewise, just because a person may be a lawyer does not mean that they will be able to effectively handle your injury case. Like doctors, legal professionals specialize in different areas of the law and will be better equipped to handle certain types of claims. You will want to make sure that the attorney you choose is specialized in personal injury law, or at least has dedicated a large portion of their practice to handling injury cases.
- Have you handled similar cases in the past? – If so, how many have they handled, and what were the results? While past performance is not a guarantee of results, an attorney with a successful track record handling similar cases will likely be able to maximize your chances of securing a favorable outcome.
- How frequently do you go to trial? – This question may be important as it can help gauge an attorney’s level of dedication to securing the best possible results for their clients. Although rare, trials for injury cases are sometimes necessary in order to secure the largest amount possible for a person’s injury case. While determining whether or not trial is appropriate for your case will depend on the specific circumstances you face, an attorney who rarely goes to trial may simply be interested in securing a quick payoff rather than guarding your rights.
- How often will you communicate with me about my case? – The last thing you need when dealing with a serious legal matter is to be left in the dark during the course of your case. Be sure your attorney is dedicated to keeping you in the loop and informed of the status of your case at all times. If the attorney or firm sends an “investigator” or paralegal to your consultation rather than the attorney meeting you themselves, you can usually expect the same type of treatment during the course of your case.
- Have you ever been disciplined by any legal or ethics committees? – Again, when dealing with a legal matter as serious as your personal injury claim, you want to make sure your case is in the hands of someone you can trust. A history of disciplinary trouble can be a giant red flag and possibly affect their ability to effectively represent you.
Injured? Call (888) 492-5532
If you have been injured through no fault of your own at the hands of a negligent party, you cannot afford to take any chances with the quality of your legal representation. At Morris & Dewett Injury Lawyers, our award-winning team of Shreveport personal injury lawyers have decades of experience and can provide effective and efficient advocacy you need to maximize your claim. Having secured numerous multi-million dollar settlements on our clients’ behalf, we have what it takes to ensure your rights are protected.
Complete an online form today to set up your confidential case review.