Teen Dies from Allergic Reaction at a Summer Camp

What was intended to be a fun family vacation at Camp Sacramento located in California’s Eldorado National Forest, turned into his family’s worst nightmare. The thirteen year old daughter lost her life after accidentally biting into a snack made by the camp that had peanut butter in it. Sadly, the incident occurred after the young girl believed to be grabbing a rice crispy treat off of a tray for desert at the camp site. However, it was dark outside and she was unaware that the snack was in fact made with a peanut butter. According to her pastor who was at the camp site as well, he says that this young girl was very careful with her allergy knowing that one small bite could end her life. This accident was a surprise to many who knew her.

This seventh grade victim immediately realized that the treat she ate had peanuts in it and she spit out the food as quickly as she could. Unfortunately her response was not quick enough because she began to vomit almost instantly and her lungs quickly closed up. One doctor shares that for a person with peanut allergies, even the smallest bite can be a fatal one and because peanuts are in a lot of foods it can be very hard to avoid. The parents administered three epinephrine auto injectors into their daughter in order to help her fight the allergic reaction but it want enough to keep her body from going into full cardiac arrest. The emergency responders arrived and headed immediately for the hospital, but the young teen was pronounced dead on arrival.

The family is handling the loss well, and they’re hoping that others in the world can learn more about the life threatening state that many people are in because of their food allergies, and heed to be more careful. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC), one out of every twenty children in the U.S. are suffering from food allergies of some sort. The most common allegories that are seen today include peanuts, dairy, eggs, tree nuts, fish, soybeans, and wheat. Unfortunately, while peanuts are among the most common allergies, they are also believed to be the most deadly.

According to reports, it is unclear as to whether or not the camp provided the treats to the campers or if they were brought by those in the group. While proving a case like this may be difficult, if you have lost a loved one due to a tragic accident that you believe could have been prevented due to the negligence of another person, please contact a Shreveport injury attorney immediately. At Simmons, Morris & Carroll we can for our community and we want to help you. Contact us today for more information.

Categories: Child Injuries
Internet Marketing Experts The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.